About VI Peel
A VI Peel is a medium-depth chemical peel offered at our Buckhead and Alpharetta locations that penetrates your top layer of skin – the epidermis – reaching into the dermis underneath and contains a synergistic blend of powerful ingredients suitable for all skin types. Like other chemical peels, a VI Peel works by exfoliating your skin and stimulating the production of new proteins. We use the VI Peel will help to not only improve skin tone, texture, and clarity for our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients, but also provide anti-aging benefits.
A VI Peel is gentle enough that we can safely use it on the face, chest, eyelids, hands, and back of our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients. This type of peel can be used on all skin types and tones.
The VI Peel addresses fine lines and wrinkles, acne and acne scarring, hyperpigmentation due to sun damage and melasma, and promotes overall smoother skin texture by refining pores, controlling oil, and stimulating collagen production. All this with minimal downtime and discomfort.
What’s In a VI Peel?
A VI Peel is loaded with the following beneficial ingredients.
- Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) and Phenol: The combination of TCA and phenol creates a controlled injury of the skin, leading to regeneration and resulting in increased collagen and elastin production. TCA clears away dead skin cells to reveal the new skin layers below to treat concerns like skin discoloration, scarring, and wrinkles, while phenol is often used to treat deeper concerns, such as sun damage, pigmentation, and facial lines.
- Salicylic Acid: The same go-to active ingredient in many acne products gives the VI Peel an extra boost of breakout-busting power for our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients. Salicylic acid is used to exfoliate the skin and clean the pores, can reduce mild breakouts of whiteheads and blackheads, and prevents future skin breakouts.
- Retinoic Acid: Retinoid acid is a derivative of vitamin A. It helps regulate growth and differentiation of skin cells, resulting in a reduction in acne, inflammation, and oil production. It’s also where the VI Peel’s anti-aging benefits come in, because of its ability to exfoliate, firm, and volumize the skin of our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is included in the VI Peel as a powerful antioxidant that counters some of the damaging effects of the sun and pollution, reducing pigmentation and improving the appearance of the skin, not to mention its collagen-boosting properties, which are instrumental in plumping skin and smoothing over wrinkles.
- Tretinoin: Tretinoin is used to treat acne or other skin diseases as determined by your doctor. It works partly by keeping skin pores clear.
What Can a VI Peel Treat?
A VI peel is great for treating a variety of skin conditions.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: The VI Peel breaks down your top layers of skin cells. This breakdown can stimulate your body’s natural healing process and the production of new collagen and elastin. Collagen and elastin are the two key proteins that give your skin its structure and elasticity. Loss of these proteins contributes to the formation of wrinkles.
- Sun spots and discoloration: The VI Peel can potentially help you lighten areas of skin darkened by sun damage or skin conditions such as melasma. One of the key ingredients in VI Peels is phenol, which is effective for treating freckles and discoloration.
- Keratosis pilaris: Some of the active ingredients in a VI Peel, such as salicylic acid, may help break down bumps caused by keratosis pilaris (chicken skin). Keratosis pilaris is a common condition in which dead skin cells clog hair follicles and produce bumps that resemble the skin of a plucked chicken.
- Acne: We often use a VI Peel to improve acne for our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients. A VI Peel can treat acne by reducing oil production, killing bacteria, reducing inflammation, breaking down your outer layer of skin, and reducing your number of clogged pores. Salicylic acid, one of the key ingredients in a VI Peel, is also one of the best treatments for acne scars.
How Long Does a VI Peel Treatment Take?
A VI Peel at our Buckhead and Alpharetta locations only takes about 30 minutes and is usually painless. It uses a blend of ingredients to break down your top layer of skin and reveal healthy skin underneath.
Your exact procedure may differ slightly, but here’s what you can expect:
- Your aesthetician will cleanse your skin to remove dirt and oil.
- The VI Peel solution will then be applied in two layers.
- You may experience some numbness or tingling once the first layer is applied.
- Once the second layer is applied, your skin will “frost,” or turn white.
- About four to six hours later, you’ll wash off the peel.
- Your skin will start peeling about three days after the procedure.
Am I a Candidate for a VI Peel?
While a VI Peel is considered safe for every skin type, those with susceptible skin, impaired wound healing, conditions such as eczema, diabetic skin issues, psoriasis, and autoimmune skin conditions, as well as those with darker skin types for whom peels and laser treatments may pose an extra risk, should avoid the VI Peel.
If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should speak with a doctor before getting a VI peel. Because of a lack of research, chemical peels that contain TCA or salicylic acid are not recommended while pregnant.
VI Peel Side Effects
Our Buckhead and Alpharetta clients tolerate a VI Peel very well. However, some clients may experience side effects, such as:
- Burning pain
- Skin discoloration
- Allergic reaction
- Dry skin
People with dark skin have the highest risk of developing skin discoloration after a chemical peel.
VI Peel Aftercare for Our Buckhead & Alpharetta Clients
About four to six hours after your VI Peel at our Buckhead and Alpharetta office, and at least an hour before bed, you should wash off the peel using a mild cleanser and water. Your skin will start to peel three days after treatment.
You can take care of your skin after your procedure by:
- Avoiding applying any creams or lotions until you wash off your peel.
- Applying the post-peel protectant given to you after your procedure two to four times per day.
- Applying moisturizer frequently until you’re done peeling.
- Avoiding direct sunlight when your skin is peeling and making sure you wear sunscreen whenever you go outside.
VI Peel vs. Similar Treatments
A VI Peel at our Buckhead and Alpharetta locations can be a stand-alone treatment or combined with other skin treatment methods. Many skin care procedures offer similar benefits. You may want to experiment with different procedures until you find one that works for you.
Some other common procedures include:
- HydraFacial: A HydraFacial is a patented technique that exfoliates and hydrates your skin while infusing it with a serum.
- Microdermabrasion: The skin is deep-cleaned with a medical skin spatula, exfoliated through diamond microdermabrasion, then hydrated with a high-potency cannabidiol and sweet almond oil mask.
- Radiofrequency (RF) Therapy: ThermiLift is the highest-powered radiofrequency laser for skin tightening and repairing delicate skin on the face and neck. This device is fitted with one of several hand pieces to treat texture issues, laxity, and firmness of the skin on the forehead, eye areas, cheeks, mouth, and neck.
How Much Does EmpowerRF FormaV Cost?
The cost of EmpowerRF FormaV treatments at Bella typically falls in the $2,750 to $3,000 range for a package of three treatments at our Buckhead our Alpharetta locations. With that in mind, the total price can vary significantly among patients based on the extent of treatment, whether EmpowerRF FormaV is being combined with other treatment options, and other factors. The cost will also be different if other treatment options in the EmpowerRF FormaV platform are being performed. A member of our aesthetics team will provide a total price estimate once your personalized treatment plan is developed during the initial consultation.